Wild and wooly history'more than one hundred years old, on land rooting the world's tallest trees'The Yale, at earliest memory, has origins as a 'bunkhouse' in 1884, lodging Canadian Pacific Railway workers who clear the town-site with Swede saw and double-bit axe, and grade the original layout of downtown streets. This first building in the area, constructed in 1889 by Vancouver's largest property owner, at a cost of $10,000.00, is the beginning of Yaletown. With distinctive bell-cast mansard, scooped roof, upper dormer and lower arched Romanesque windows, it appears as a Gaelic Castle in the middle of a stump farm. Firstly named the Colonial and becoming The Yale Hotel in 1907. A working man's watering hole. Miners, loggers, fishermen, railroaders. Livery stable for horses out back that later becomes a bathhouse. A shingle mill, a cooperage, beehive burner sawmills, a cement works, a brick factory, a glass factory and a wire-rope factory spring up. Union Halls. As the decades unfold: the Yale serves sawmill, factory and warehouse workers, travelling salesmen, Kits Kats rugby team, eco-warriors, heavy acid-rock freaks, and the sexual revolution. In salvation, by the eighties, the Yale evolves and matures into an impeccable rhythm and blues club. A West Coast 'blues melting pot.' A cornerstone of Vancouver heritage dignity. When you lose the past the will of the people crumbles.