Vie's Chicken and Steak House
Vie's opens between 1948-50. Started by Viva Moore and her railway-sailor husband Robert, at 209 Union Street (Red and White Taxi stand in 1935). A last survivor of the popular southern fried chicken houses that thrive in this area in the '30s and '40s, including Viva's widowed aunt, Emma Alexander's Mother's Tamale and Chile Parlour, operating in the late 1930s (unofficially earlier) 'til the mid-'40s at 250 Union Street. Vie's closes in 1979. Torn down. Now a stumble-grass chunk of pavement. Once situated in a simple, two-storey, 1920s clapboard wood house, just around the corner from Puccini's on Main Street, at the lane, in the area loosely know as Hogan's Alley, in reference to the original clandestine alley of notoriety that flourishes in the 1920s as a late-night destination of colour and risque intrigue. A late-at-night haven with one intimate main room, a little adjoining overflow room and the warm nocturnal floss of the neon sign, casting technicolor on the newly-arriving patrons. Inside, the walls are painted bright yellow and blue, the ceiling a deep red. A painting of the Alaska Highway on the wall and a jukebox in the corner. Altogether just nine odd-sized tables with foldaway chairs. In the kitchen, all that sizzle and crackle takes place in a big, black fry pan on a big, old, black oil-stove that heats the whole house. Vie's serves just chicken'and steaks and fries and salad and biscuits. And that's it. Except for all that garlic and those mushrooms, that keep people coming back.