Close Window
Marine-View Cafe : Interior

Marine View Cafe, Interior. Campbell Avenue Fish Dock. The 1910-built Gore Avenue Fish Dock, located just east of Main Street and Crab Park, has a major fire in the early thirties, Vancouver Ice and Cold Storage burns to the ground. New fishing facilities are constructed at the foot of Campbell Avenue behind B.C. Sugar's brick refinery. For an eventful and dynamic six decades pioneer fishers and industry workers clamour and scurry, the wooden wharf steeped in colour, and the smelly, intoxicating odour of B.C.'s bountiful harvest. The first Marine View Coffee Shop originates sometime in the early fifties...a small greasy spoon with a counter, run by Jack Abramson. Expansion moves the establishment upstairs in the mid-fifties to become a breakfast and lunch cafe. By the mid-sixties cook Rudy Welsh introduces fresh fish dishes to the menu, to popular command. She goes on to buy and run the cafe with her daughters Agnes and Audrey. In about 1975, Agnes takes charge of the establishment until the late '70s when Audrey and her husband Garry Gurney take over. Garry works for Lions Gate Fisheries for 30 years. Audrey operates the cafe with her daughter Lisa for the last ten years, until the end in 1989. Three generations. Says Ruby Welsh, the twenty-year veteran, 'We had a good view...we could see the boats coming in loaded with fresh fish. Some days there were line-ups down the stairs.' Inside you get a bird's eye view over the hub-bub of wharf life and the waters all the way to the North Shore mountains. Vancouver's most beloved waterfront coffee shop and fish cafe.