Classic thirties theatre. Built, owned and operated by the Fairleigh family. The last original, independent cinema house in Canada. One theatre, one family, one style. At 784 seats and a reported cost to build of $50,000.00, the Hollywood opens with an exquisite, hand-blown neon marquee on October 24, 1935 to far and wide acclaim. The fabulous neon signage is purchased outright by patriarch of the clan Reginald E. Fairleigh. A delightful refined neon script 'Pick O' the Best Plays' rides atop the overhang facia canopy above the sidewalk. Tickets for adults at 20 cents and kids at 5 cents. The car craze is in full swing and neon's splash and flare is new in the world. Most of the city is forest. A family cruise past the downtown or suburban theatre marquees instills ecstatic trance and is a big thrill. This showboat theatre is a survivor and thrives in a marathon run of a continuous 77 years. The Hollywood's slogan in a 1952 newspaper listing is 'Always a Good Show'. Early cinema authentic décor: wooden arm rests, tiled washrooms, original terrazzo lobby floor, vintage push-button 'Automaticket' dispenser system, with five little trap doors that spit out your tickets purchased at the quaint booth. A piano resides in the house. A sudden collapse and demise in 2012 breaks the heart of West Broadway and alas it's a final goodbye to a longtime home turf in Kitsilano.